Kidneys are fist size bean-shaped organs that are present in a pair located on both side of the spinal cord. There are millions of functional units present in each kidney termed as Nephrons. The structure of Nephrons consists of tiny tufts of blood vessels (filters) Glomerular attached with tubules.
Normal and healthy kidneys filter about 50 gallons of blood each day out of which it produces 1.5 to 2 liters of urine in 24 hours. The urine produced consists of wastes and toxins like a metabolic waste, drugs, and infections. “Is consuming nuts good for kidneys?”.
FUNCTIONS OF KIDNEYS:
Kidneys are designed to perform certain functions like:
- Filtration of blood that expels waste in the form of urine
- Regulate the blood pressure levels, and blood volume
- Assist in the production of red blood cells
- Maintain the balance of electrolytes by controlling minerals like sodium, potassium, phosphorus, and chlorine in the blood
- Monitor the health of the bones of the body “Is consuming nuts good for kidneys”
Kidneys when stop working normally, show up certain indications in the form of symptoms like swelling in the ankles, proteinuria, nocturia, shortness of breath, skin rash, Hyperkalemia, Hematuria etc. that direct to any kidney disease like acute kidney failure, chronic kidney failure, polycystic kidney disease, nephrotic syndrome, glomerulonephritis etc.
NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS OF NUTS AND SEEDS:
Nuts have an abundant amount of protein approx 36%, fat 58.8%, and carbohydrate 72.6%. In addition to these macronutrients, they also contain a good quality of vitamin (B and E), and minerals like phosphorus, calcium, iron and zinc and other dietary fibers. “Is consuming nuts good for kidneys”.
It is suggested by renal dietitians that people with kidney disease need to restrict the consumption of protein as excess of it can increase the urea nitrogen level in the blood causing various other problems. Following are a couple of nuts that benefits kidneys in numerous ways:
1. Cashew nuts are good for kidneys but can harm patients with kidney disease. These are rich in vitamin K and help in preventing any cardiovascular diseases. Patients with kidney stones should avoid consuming cashew nut to reduce further damage of kidneys.
2. Almonds are rich in vitamin E and have multiple health benefits for kidneys:
- It reduces the risk of heart attack because of its antioxidant property
- It alleviates anemia as it is rich in iron and magnesium
- Lower the levels of blood sugar in the blood “Is consuming nuts good for kidneys”.
- Helps in relieving constipation due to its fiber content
A limited intake of almonds helps kidney patients in preventing progressive damage of the kidneys but its high oxalates and calcium content increase the probability of kidney stones.
3. Pistachios are a protein-rich source, high in phosphorus and potassium they contain a moderate amount of oxalates that transform into cystine kidney stones and cause various other dangerous problems.
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT MEASURES:
Ayurveda is an indigenous way of treating kidney disease through naturally grown herbs. The self-manufactured ayurvedic medicines consist of medicated herbs that cure kidney disease of the root cause and result in zero side effects. “Is consuming nuts good for kidneys”.
Karma Ayurveda is a well-reputed kidney treatment hospital that currently runs under the guidance of the best ayurvedic practitioner Dr. Puneet Dhawan. The natural aid of Karma Ayurveda involves the use of ayurvedic medicines and healthy dietary management that give permanent results and successfully eradicates the need of dialysis.