The kidneys flush out the waste and excess water from the blood in the form of urine. Renal failure is the same as kidney failure and occurs due to the loss in functioning of kidneys. An end stage renal failure is the final stage of a kidney disease. In this stage the kidneys no longer function and one can die if not treated urgently.
Kidney disease is usually progressive and it takes a relatively long time to come to end stage. Most people in this stage are on dialysis or under the treatment of kidney transplant. There are many reasons that can cause kidney diseases like high blood sugar level, diabetes, physical injury, kidney stones, acute dehydration and family history of kidney disease.
In the case of a decline in the normal functioning of the kidneys, indicates the end stage of renal failure. There are some common signs and symptoms that a patient experience, such as:
- Decrease in the amount of urine
- Inability to urinate
- Fatigue and tiredness
- A general ill feeling
- Abnormal weight loss or weight gain
- Loss of appetite
- Itchy and dry skin
- Nausea and vomiting
- Back and joint pain
- Change in the color of urine
- Swelling in hands and feet
- Easy bruising
If the above symptoms prevail for long in your life, it can create unhealthiness. You may feel weak and unable to carry on with your daily lives. It is better to go for a quick diagnosis to confirm the stage of the disease and then go for an immediate treatment. Some of the common tests to check your kidney function are urinalysis, serum creatinine test, blood urea nitrogen test and estimated GFR.
In the end stage, the two main treatments that can be performed are dialysis and kidney transplant. Dialysis is mainly of two types’ hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis.
- Hemodialysis uses a machine to process the kidney functions. The machine filters the waste using a solution and sends the clean blood back to the body. Usually, this method is performed twice or thrice a week.
- Peritoneal dialysis involves placing a solution into the abdomen which can be later removed using a catheter. Such a dialysis can be done at home, mainly during overnight while sleeping.
- Kidney transplant is a surgery that involves removing the affected kidneys and replacing it with a new donated kidney. The donor can survive in one kidney, as even one working kidney is enough for normal functioning.
Karma Ayurveda – How Long Can You Live With End Stage Renal Failure?
All the above treatments are not a permanent solution to your problem. Dialysis is only an alternate to kidney functions till it is replaced with a new kidney. It doesn’t correct endorphin level. Also, a kidney transplant allows you to resume to normal functions but you still can face chronic kidney disease in future.
However, opting for Ayurvedic treatment for your kidney related problems can be a likely option. Ayurvedic medicines have natural healing power and can slow down the damage to kidneys. A high-quality of life along with healthy diet and routine can increase your chances of survival in end-stage.