Difference between Haemodialysis and Peritoneal dialysis?
What is dialysis?
Your kidneys filter waste materials from your blood and excrete waste materials from your blood that is very necessary for the functioning of your kidneys. If your kidneys collapsed, then dialysis is performed as a treatment that works as an artificial filter for your body. Mainly there are two types of dialysis i.e Haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis that is usually recommended by the allopathic doctors for the treatment of kidney failure.
Dialysis is a replacement for the natural working of your kidneys when they are damaged. It is also known as renal replacement therapy or RRT. If anyone has lost 85 to 90 percent of their kidneys functions, then doctors advised dialysis as a treatment to live a healthy life. This procedure is not considered as permanent therapy for kidney failure. Dialysis can help you to live a little longer but can’t able to eliminate the root causes of kidney disease. But with the help of using Ayurvedic herbs, you can eliminate the root causes and also it is very helpful in the revival of the functioning of your kidneys. There are some cases in which creatinine level gradually increases even when the patient is on dialysis. In that case, doctors advise kidney transplant as a treatment for kidney failure. It is a surgical process, which involves the replacement of a patient’s kidneys with a donor’s kidneys.
What are the different types of dialysis used for the treatment of kidney failure?
There are three types of dialysis, but mostly two types of dialysis i.e Haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis are used by the doctors for the treatment of kidney failure. The detail descriptions about these treatments are as follows:
- Hemodialysis – Hemodialysis also spell as Haemodialysis. This process is considered as the common type of dialysis and is performed with the help of artificial kidneys (hemodialyzer) to remove the toxic products and excess fluids from your blood. In this process, your blood is removed from your body and is filtered through the artificial kidneys and then filtered blood sends back to your body with the help of a dialysis machine.
Your doctor may perform a surgery to make an entry point or vascular access into your blood vessels. Mainly there are three types of the vascular access point, i.e Arteriovenous (AV) fistulas, AV graft, and vascular access catheter. Hemodialysis lasts for there to five hours and needed to be performed thrice per week. This process takes a shorter time, as compared to other therapy but most of the time it depends upon your body, size weight, and the toxins present inside your body.
- Peritoneal dialysis – This treatment involves surgery to implant a peritoneal dialysis catheter in your abdomen. This catheter helps in the filtering of blood through a membrane present in your kidneys. A special fluid called dialysate injected into the peritoneum. This fluid absorbs waste from your blood, and then it is drained from your abdomen. This process takes a few hours and it needed to be performed six times per day.
- Continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT) – This is the last type of dialysis and is performed for rare cases. It is also known as hemofiltration. In this treatment, the machine passes the blood through the tubes and then removes the waste products and excess fluids from your blood. Then filtered blood is returned to your kidneys, along with the replacement fluid. This procedure has to be performed 12 to 24 hours a day and generally, it is performed every day.
These treatments can control the indications temporarily, but it occurs after some time. These procedures are very costly and don’t guarantee a lasting cure for kidney failure. There are many uncertainties associated with this treatment that may befall at the time of the treatment or after the treatment. Some of the major complications of dialysis are as follows:
- Fluctuations in your blood pressure
- Not having enough red blood cells
- Muscle cramps
- Sleeping problem
- Dry and itchy skin
- The rise in blood potassium level
- A bloodstream infection
- Abnormal heartbeat
- Sudden cardiac death
- The weakening of the abdominal muscle
- Sudden weight gain and hernia
- Low life expectancy rate – The average life expectancy rate of individuals after or on dialysis is 5-6 years. In rare cases, it reaches 20 years, but it is not possible to go beyond this.
These are some of the major risks involve in Haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. If you want a more reliable and the most suitable therapy for kidney failure, then it always recommended that Ayurveda can improve the functionality of your kidneys naturally. Haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis are types of treatment, but both are different from each other. Both the procedures are used for different situation and they usually depend upon, the functioning of your kidneys and body weight, size, and age of the patient.
How Ayurveda replaces Haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis as a kidney failure treatment?
Ayurveda is considered as one of the best remedies available for the treatment of kidney failure. It has been widely accepted as a natural healing process that cures any disease of its roots. Many scholars recommend Ayurveda as a better replacement for Haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis because Ayurveda uses natural herbs like Gokshur, Punarnava, and many more. The treatment of kidney failure uses these natural herbs that are powerful enough to revive your kidneys naturally. If you are also on dialysis and seen no development with these procedures, then Ayurveda will prove a boon for your kidneys. In the starting doses of Ayurvedic medicines, you can see improvement in yourselves and after sometimes you will be free from the disease from its roots.
Karma Ayurveda is a leading kidney care hospital, situated in Delhi. They have cured more than 35000 kidney patients, and still many are taking treatments from this hospital. Here, Dr. Puneet Dhawan and his team use their specialization in the treatment of kidney patients. You can reach this hospital with your all reports and past medical treatment papers.